Subject: Re: Polygon Problems
From: [email-masked]
To: LightWave Mailing List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:01:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 16 Jul 1995, Thomas Healy wrote:

> POLYGON ERRORS:
> 
> This is a pretty 
> high polygon count object, so I know I'm not getting wierd effects from the 
> displacement map....I'm stumped as to what I can do.  Any ideas??

Did you try increasing the Smoothing Angle for the displacement mapped 
surface?  You may also want to try decreasing the amount of the 
displacement map so that the polygons aren't distorted as much...this 
does sound like a problem that is being created by the intensity of the 
displacement map.  You might even want to try turning on double-sided 
polygons to see what sort of effect that has on the errors. 

In my newest tutorial for LightSpeed, I show how to do pools of water 
with LightWave and one of the examples uses a displacement mapped, 
heavily subdivided plane....I had render errors popping up when I used 
only 8,192 polygons (Subdivide X 6) but when I subdivived the plane one 
more time, for a grand total of 32,768 polygons, it worked very nicely.

Hope this helps....
                                      -David Warner
                                       Event Horizon Graphics

--
[email-masked] sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]